Stopping the disease of addiction before it starts to ensure healthy futures for America's teens

Flights Above Addiction

Flights Above Addiction is a traveling teen art and aviation program that informs communities that addiction is a preventable chronic brain disease contracted in adolescence 90% of the time.

Read More

Media $500 Contests

Media $500 Contests invite secondary students to produce compelling art and media illuminating the risk of early alcohol, tobacco, and other drug exposure.

Read More

Science of Addiction

Addiction is a chronic, relapsing brain disease characterized by compulsive drug seeking and use, despite harmful consequences.

Read More

Kids and Aviation Come Together with SafeLaunch & Signature Flight Support

On Saturday, August 5, 2017 from 9 to noon local youth will paint their dreams for a healthy life at Signature Flight Support at the San Diego International Airport. Free admission!

SafeLaunch and their partner Signature Flight Support will arrive in San Diego, California, as part of their West Coast “Flights Above Addiction Tour,” in the effort to stem adolescent drug and alcohol exposure and addiction.

Local youth, parents and community leaders will participate in an interactive experience: learning the science of addiction and how exposure alcohol and drugs impact the brain while it’s still developing. Youth will have the opportunity to paint their dreams of a healthy, addiction-free future on a Cessna Skylane, the “Flights Above Tour” plane.

In addition, SafeLaunch “Wing Parents” (parents whose children lost their lives to addiction) are invited to see their children’s names on the wings and share their experiences to educate others.

SafeLaunch co-founder and retired Navy commander Ron Cuff inspires attendees to focus on
launching kids safely, just as the aircraft carrier crews did for him over 120 times. Cuff tells the youth, “A great life is like a great flight. You must train for it and choose a destination, but most of all, you must keep your head clear and your brain healthy. Never forget.”

“Parenting was never easy, but it’s even harder in today’s technology-focused culture,” said Janet Rowse, SafeLaunch co-founder and parent. “It takes a committed village to raise healthy children, so we are especially appreciative of Signature Flight Support for partnering with us to inform families that mixing developing minds with any kind of intoxicant, is a recipe for addiction.”

The United States is in the midst of an addiction epidemic. Due to the escalating use of opioids, experts estimate that as many Americans are expected to die from overdose in 2017 as died in the Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan wars combined. Thankfully, slowing the disease of addiction is within our grasp. Research has shown that adolescents have up to a 600 percent greater risk of developing chemical dependency than adults. Therefore, when parents and schools are educated about the root of addiction, protecting youth from early drug and alcohol exposure is entirely possible.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Your Parenting Style Effects Your Children’s Friends, Too

Many studies have illustrated the influence that peers have on one another, as well as how different parenting styles impact children. However, it is not common to see a study done on the effects of different parenting styles on children’s friends. A study was conducted which found that the degree of authoritativeness (high warmth, high control) in a network was correlated with lower inclination toward delinquency, lower levels of substance abuse, and better psycho-social ability. In order to find out more about these results, researchers at UC San Diego looked at the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health to study the associations between a child’s behavior and their friend’s behavior, their mother’s parenting style, and their friend’s mother’s parenting style.

First, they found that a friend’s behavior so strongly impacts an adolescent that having a friend who gets drunk makes the adolescent 32% more likely to do the same. That child is also 90% more likely to smoke cigarettes if they have a friend who does so, 146% more likely to smoke marijuana if they have a friend that does so, and 47% more likely to binge drink if they have a friend that does so.

Then, when looking at the impact of parenting style on a child, they found that the likelihood of a child getting drunk is reduced by 57% and the probability of smoking is reduced by 43% if they have an authoritative parent.

Finally, researchers found that if a child’s friend’s mother is authoritative, that child is 40% less likely to get drunk, 38% less likely to binge drink, 39% less likely to smoke cigarettes, and 43% less likely to smoke marijuana. In addition, a child whose friend’s mother is authoritarian (low warmth, high control), is 46% less likely to smoke marijuana than if their friend’s mother was neglectful (low warmth, low control). These results show that the correlation of the parenting style of a friend’s mother is roughly the same as the correlation of the parenting style of a child’s own mother when it comes to drinking and smoking.

However, the correlation is stronger for a friend’s mother than a child’s own mother for marijuana use and binge drinking. The takeaway here is that exerting control in your child’s life while also showing love and care, is not only beneficial to the child but to the child’s social network as well.

SafeLaunch and Signature Flight Soar to Palm Springs for Youth Health

SafeLaunch and Signature Flight Support will stop in Palm Springs, California on Saturday, June 24, as part of a four-city West Coast “Flights Above Addiction Tour,” in an effort to stem adolescent drug and alcohol exposure and addiction.

During each tour stop, local youth, parents and community leaders are invited to participate in an interactive experience to learn the science of addiction and how it affects the human brain while it is still developing. At each event, youth aged 5-18 have the opportunity to literally paint their dreams for a healthy, addiction-free future on a Cessna Skylane, the “Flights Above” Tour plane. In addition, SafeLaunch “Wing Parents” (parents who have lost children to addiction) speak with fellow parents in attendance.

Local families, parents who have lost children to addiction, and community leaders are all invited to attend this hands-on experience inside the air conditioned Signature Flight Support hangar at the Palm Springs International Airport.

According to the the Centers for Disease Control, the United States is in the midst of an “addiction epidemic” due to the escalating use of opioids, alcohol poisoning and drug overdoses, which led to the deaths of approximately 65,000 Americans in 2016. Because solving any epidemic requires an “all hands on deck” strategy, we very much appreciate our partnership with Signature Flight Support to expand our risk prevention effort.

Date:  Saturday, June 24 from 9am to noon
Location:  Signature Flight Support hangar, Palm Springs International Airport, 250 North El Cielo Road, Palm Springs, California

Signature Flight Support Corporation, a BBA Aviation plc company, is the world’s largest FBO and distribution network for business and general aviation services. Signature services include fueling, hangar and office rentals, ground handling, maintenance and a wide range of crew and passenger amenities at strategic domestic and international locations. Headquartered in Orlando, Florida, Signature currently operates at 205 global locations in the United States, Europe, South America, Africa and Asia. For more information, please visit: or on Facebook at Follow Signature Flight Support on Twitter: @SignatureFBO.

For more information, email or call 805-283-7233.